Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Scams

Ok folks, here we are, the Stanley Cup Finals. If you are a die hard fan like me, you are looking to buy tickets for the holy grail of hockey. Stanley Cup Final tickets are $$$$$$$ in case you have been living under a rock and haven't heard.

I have been searching for some affordable tickets, but it would seem affordable and Stanley Cup Finals tickets is an oxymoron. Upper bowl tickets are being listed at $500 each on eBay and Craigslist and lower bowl is anywhere from $1,000 - $3,000 each. Yes each.

Um....mortgage payment or the game. I seriously thought about it for a moment, but I had to choose my apartment.

At any rate, to the point of this blog post. In short, as the old saying goes, if it is too good to be true, it likely is. I saw an ad on Craigslist for Game 1 tickets for $520. They didn't list if the price was for each or for the pair, so I thought I'd give it a shot and email them.

They said $520 for a pair or $900 for four tickets. Say what?! Maybe I am going to find affordable tickets after all! I emailed them back and asked for the seat numbers and section.

I kid you not they replied:

"They are aisle seats 1,2,3,4 if you will decide to buy,i will email Freightco to create an invoice for shipping and payment details."

Um....SKETCHY!

First of all, I have NEVER heard of Freightco. I am certainly not setting up an account with my mailing and credit card info.

Second, they are going to MAIL me the tickets?! They are not going to meet me in person?

Third...1,2,3,4?!!! No section?

Needless to say, I backed out. At that point, the seller dropped the cost of the tickets to $500. Ya no.

So the story here is, there are people trying to take advantage of fans looking to find affordable tickets. Be vigilant and be smart when shopping. And if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are stupid enough to fall for it, you deserve to be scammed!